In the winner’s circle (left to right) are: Matthew Milnamow (conference sponsor – LAN Associates), Bill Steinhauer (winner – 3 Pines Nature Place), Felicia Hodge (Tigerlily Communications), Paul Ernenwein, Esq. (winner – Newburgh Illuminated), Dave Deleo (winner – Newburgh Illuminated), Danielle Farrell (conference sponsor – LAN Associates), Assemblyman James Skoufis, Jeanne Versweyveld (winner – Moffat Library) and Carol McCrossen (winner – Moffat Library)
Moffat Library, Newburgh Illuminated and 3 Pines Place PLACEMAKING WINNERS!
Our 10th Annual Placemaking Conference and Awards was held on Friday, June 15, 2018, at the Newburgh Armory Unity Center, 321 South William St., Newburgh. This year’s theme was, Creating Stronger Communities: Revitalizing Downtown Centers for Today’s World, and the featured speakers included; Marc Wouters, Chairman of the Congress for New Urbanisn – NY Chapter, June Williamson, CUNY professor and co-author of “Retrofitting Suburbia”, and Eric Alexander, Director of Vision Long Island. The panel speakers featured community leaders from our county that have integrated placemaking into their town planning, including; Valerie Maginsky, City of Port Jervis, Bob Pritchard, Village of Maybrook, Cooper Boone, Foundry 42, Port Jervis, and, Brenna Robinson, City of Kingston.
The Placemaking Awards recognize individuals, organizations, projects, and festivals that have contributed to the creation or transformation of public “places” to improve the local community and have exemplified placemaking concepts and practices. This year’s award winning projects are:
· Moffat Library: Originally built in 1887, the Moffat Library in Washingtonville recently underwent a full renovation and expansion. The library became uninhabitable in 2011 after being destroyed by floods from Hurricane Irene. Out of that devastation, the library board, staff, building professionals, and members of the community came together to restore and expand the structure, while preserving its historical legacy. Today, the beautiful new and improved Moffat Library has resumed its place as an anchor of the community, located in the center of the Village.
· Newburgh Illuminated: Newburgh Illuminated is an annual festival highlighting Newburgh’s history, architecture, community, diversity, art, music and natural geography. Shining a spotlight on the assets and achievements of the City, Newburgh Illuminated draws people together to enjoy a day filled with music, art, culture, fine food and spirits, and community.
· 3 Pines Nature Place: 3 Pines Nature Place is a unique, quiet place to enjoy nature. Attractive to all generations, it serves as a ‘pocket park’, and natural meeting place for Warwick residents. Using universal design principles, 3 Pines Nature Place is built on the grounds of an active Community Center, next to a community garden and orchard, adding an outdoor, nature dimension to these amenities.
It was a great day filled with community, conversation, delicious food, and lots of inspiring information from nationally recognized experts, and in-the-trenches placemaking pros!
Many thanks to our Downtown & Districts Sponsor, LAN Associates, and all our other amazing sponsors!
· Alliance for Balanced Growth
· Barton & Loguidice
· Engineering & Surveying Properties
· Paul Ernenwein, Esq.
· LAN Associates
· Leyland Alliance
· Nelson, Pope & Voorhis
· NPV Associates
· Orange County Partnership
· Rhinebeck Bank
Did you attend our 10th Annual Placemaking Conference & Awards on June 15th? Take a minute to give us some feedback about the event! Click here!